Workplace Physical Activity and Active Travel Resources
Access resources and information below to develop your own workplace physical activity programme.
If you would like to receive workplace champion updates from our workplace physical activity project officer, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has developed guidelines that covers how workplaces can encourage employees to be physically active and a tool that can allow employers to calculate the potential costs and benefits of developing a workplace physical activity scheme.
- Get Britain Standing - A dynamic campaign to increase awareness and education of the dangers of sedentary working and prolonged sitting time. Home of 'On Your Feet Britain Day' each April.
- List of National Governing Bodies sports offers (on Workplace Challenge website).
- Loop – Created by Table Tennis England, Loop brings social table tennis into your workplace.
- Run Together – Created by England Athletics to provide fun, friendly, supportive and inclusive running opportunities for everyone in England.
- Workplace Wellbeing Charter – A national workplace health, safety and wellbeing award.
Active Travel / Walking & Cycling
- Pushing Ahead Norfolk – Access colour-coded route maps of dedicated cycling paths throughout Norwich, walking and cycling maps for Great Yarmouth, links to a Personalised Journey Planner and the Cycle Loan Scheme, top tips for bike maintenance and cycling safely, as well as information about some of the family-friendly walking and cycling activities in your area.
- Sustrans - Website of the UK sustainable transport charity, including information on walking and cycling routes and groups across the UK.
- The Norfolk Trails network brings together over 1200 miles of walks, cycle and bridle routes throughout our beautiful county.
- Living Streets is the UK charity for everyday walking.
- Ramblers - Britain's walking charity working to protect and expand the places people love to walk and promote walking for health and pleasure.
- Norwich's nooks & crannies - A world of hidden passageways has been pushed into the limelight with the publication of a new walking route. Composed of three short walks, the route takes people on a journey of discovery through many of the city's historic alleys, courts and lanes. Each walk is peppered with stories, some of which go back centuries.
- Norwich Pedalways - Norwich has seven colour-coded cycle routes – totalling 58 miles – known as pedalways. You can download a pdf version of the Norwich cycle map which shows the seven pedalways across the city.
- Cycle Map for Great Yarmouth and the surrounding area – Find out about cycling opportunities in the Borough.
- Cycles Routes UK – Highlighting popular circular routes across the UK.
- Brake, The Road Safety Charity
Route planning online tools
- Google Maps – Cyclist can plan their route using the cycle routes layer of maps. Walkers can plan a route on foot. Also available on smart phone.
- Cycle Streets – Select a variety of routes depending on your ability. Download the mobile app version to help you plan your trip on the go.
- Walkit – Urban route planner that allows users to plan a route between two points. Also includes circular routes which can be planned by time.
- Active Norfolk & Pushing Ahead Active Travel Guide
- Norfolk & Suffolk Business Travel Pack
- Mind: How to improve your wellbeing through physical activity and sport
- Business in the Community (BITC) and Public Health England (PHE) Physical Activity, Healthy Eating and Healthier Weight toolkit for employers
- Workplace Challenge Flexible Lunch Break Manifesto
- Health and Activity dates for your diary poster - Plan workplace fitness and health activities around the following dates in 2019
Thrive Tribe – From 1st April 2017, Thriving Workplaces will be delivering a contract for a county-wide workplace health service in Norfolk. Active Norfolk will be working with Thrive Tribe to support Norfolk workplaces to be more active through their Active Workplaces programme'