Shot Putter Sophie McKinna
- Sport: Athletics: shot putt
- Lives: Great Yarmouth
- Country of Birth: England
- Previous Schools: Hillside First, Woodlands Middle and Lynn Grove High.
- Highest Accolade:
- World youth silver medallist,
- 5th place finish at the commonwealth games.
- Club: Great Yarmouth and District athletics club
- Occupation: : Athlete (previously teaching assistant and gym instructor)
Sophie began athletics at the age of 14, when her mum entered her into a shot putt competition because she thought she might be good at it. Within a few weeks Sophie was entered into the English schools championships and came second. From that day onwards she began to train seriously and by 15 represented Great Britain for the first time at the European youth Olympic trials where she won an unexpected bronze.
Sophie then went on to break numerous British records and won the first international medal ever won by a British female in the shot putt. As she has progressed in her career she gained her first senior Great Britain cap at the age of 17 and competed in the 2014 Commonwealth Games where she finished 5th.
Sophie hopes to go onto compete at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
If you would like to book Sophie for an event, please contact Paul Evans on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01603 732330