Sport England launches new strategy - Uniting the Movement
Posted: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 15:01
Sport England's recently released strategy "Uniting the Movement" outlines how they'll use sport and physical activity to transform lives and communities.
The strategy recognises the important role that physical activity and sport can play in helping to rebuild the physical and mental health of the nation after the devastating impact of the coronavirus pandemic, how it can help to rebuild the strength of individuals and communities and our economy, and it plays heavily on the theme that "together we are stronger".
The pandemic has exacerbated the most deep-rooted inequalities in activity levels and health inequalities. For too long, people with the most to gain from being active have been the least able to take part. This has galvanised Sport England to commit to doing things differently over the next decade and to confront those inequalities head on.
"Uniting the Movement" is not just a strategy, but a vision for the next 10 years on how the sector sector, and as an ecosystem, needs to change so that more people that can most benefit from being active have the opportunities they need, now and in the future.
The strategy focusses on five big issues that they see as having the greatest potential for preventing and tackling inequalities in sport and physical activity:
- Recover and Reinvent - Recovering from the biggest crisis in a generation and reinventing as a vibrant, relevant and sustainable network of organisations providing sport and physical activity opportunities that meet the needs of different people
- Connecting Communities - Focusing on sport and physical activity's ability to make better places to live and bring people together
- Positive Experiences for Children and Young People - Unrelenting focus on positive experiences for all children and young people as the foundations for a long and healthy life
- Connecting with Health and Wellbeing - Strengthening the connections between sport, physical activity, health and wellbeing, so more people can feel the benefits of, and advocate for, an active life
- Active Environments - Creating and protecting the places and spaces that make it easier for people to be active
You can read the strategy and find out more about their approach at http://unitingthemovement.org/