What is Baton Twirling?
Baton Twirling, as a sport, is relatively new. It is a discipline that has evolved through many dimensions.
The fundamental characteristics of the sport involve the following:
- Handling the baton with maneuvers to create visual images, pictures and patterns.
- Throwing the baton with velocity and revolution to propel the apparatus forty to fifty feet into the air while spinning, leaping and jumping across the floor to arrive at the precise point and time to catch it.
- Utilizing fine motor skills and precise timing to execute the strategic placement of the baton
- Expressing artistry and emotion of the body through movement
- The blend of baton and body together
The baton is an instrument constructed of steel with rubber ends similar in consistency to a vehicle tire.The athlete uses a baton that is sized to the length of their arm from the shoulder to the tip of the fingers.