Aerobics is a form of physical exercise that combines rhythmic aerobic exercise with stretching and strength training routines with the goal of improving all elements of fitness (flexibility, muscular strength, and cardiovascular fitness).
An Overview of Aerobics
Aerobics is usually performed to music and may be practiced in a group setting led by an instructor, although it can be done solo and without musical accompaniment.
These are some of the most common aerobics classes offered:
- Step Aerobics: Involves the use of a platform to step up and down. The platform helps burn more calories from the extra motion. This is not optimal for people with joint problems.
- Water/Aqua Aerobics: Best type of low-impact aerobics because it provides the least amount of resistance. Ideal for those with health conditions. Doesn't strain the muscles, but gives a sense of weightlessness and is helpful for those who want to continue to stay active, even with a medical condition.
- Belly Aerobics: Incorporated with basic aerobics, but focuses more on working the stomach region to remove excess weight around the mid-section. This can include motions where the arms are stretched upward while twisting the rest of the body such as crunches and belly dancing (taught by an instructor). The belly dancing technique works on specific muscles and areas of the stomach to tone.
- Great form of aerobic exercise to improve your cardiovascular heath
- Great way to meet new people
Many gym will offer aerobics classes for free as part of their membership, and some will offer pay as you go for non-members.
All you need is basic gym wear as all the equipment and music will be provided by the instructor.
Find Aerobics Activities Near You
Use the search below to find local activities near you.