Wheelchair Racer Will Smith
- Sport: T54 Wheelchair Racing
- Lives: Westfield, near Dereham
- Born: Northallerton, North Yorkshire
- Country of Birth: England
- Previous Schools: Northgate High School, Dereham
- Highest Accolade: 2014 Under-23 800m World Champion
- 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Game, 5th place in 1500m final
- Club: City of Norwich Athletics Club
- Occupation: Student
Will was born with Spina Bifida which left him unable to walk. Despite his disability he has always been interested in sport and when he tried wheelchair racing for the first time at 11 years old he was hooked straight away!
Will trains at the UEA Sportspark and Parkwood Leisure Centre in Dereham and he is coached by Jenny Archer, who is based in Kingston upon Thames, who also coaches London 2012 Paralympic champion David Weir.
Will was selected by British Athletics to represent team GB at the 2011 World Junior Championships in Dubai where he won 4 gold medals and in 2014 he became the under-23 800m world champion.
The highlight of his career so far was selection for team England at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games where he finished 5th in the T54 1500m final behind team mate David Weir.
Looking forward my ambition is selection for team GB at the 2016 Rio Paralympic Games and winning a medal in Tokyo 2020.
My experiences have made me very keen to promote the benefits of all people being actively involved in sport regardless of their ability or disability.
Will is available for:
- Assemblies (Whole School)
- Sports Specific Coaching
- Competition Presentations
- Sports Days
If you would like to book Will for an event, please contact Paul Evans on email@example.com or 01603 732330